Monday 25 August 2014

Buckwheat Porridge with Strawberry Puree and Crunchy Maple Bits




Spring has almost sprung and I can’t say how happy I am to have some sunshine back in my life. My reptile self is warmly welcoming the early change of season and basking in whatever it gives me. So far it’s been very nice.

The other week I bought some buckwheat groats and since then, have been experimenting different uses.  Today was porridge. 
Before I go ahead and talk about the recipe, I’d like you to just divert your attention to the beautiful board on which my porridge sits. 

At the beginning of this month, Cal and I celebrated the anniversary of 5 special years together. Normally, gifts aren’t on the anniversary agenda, we tend to plan exciting adventures or experiences instead so this gift came a little unexpected. When Cal handed this over he told me he'd bought this beautiful piece of Huon Pine in Tasmania 10 years ago! Not sure how it managed to slip under the radar all this time, I'd never seen it in my life. He had sanded it down and oiled it and it is now one of the most beautiful things i own.

So now that the board has been credited, here's the recipe!
Buckwheat really doesn't need all that much tampering with. It's so beautiful and nutty, i stepped away from the spices this time.

Buckwheat Porridge
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1 cup water
1/2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 cup plant based milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
Soak the buckwheat overnight in the water and apple cider vinegar.
Drain and rinse thoroughly.
In a saucepan cook the buckwheat in the milk and cinnamon until the liquid reduces.
You can either keep reducing and eat the buckwheat as it is like porridge or blend it.
I blitzed my warm buckwheat in a blender for a few seconds to achieve a thicker, porridge-like texture.
Alternatively, you can make a raw version which consists of just soaking overnight and then blending. A beautiful cool version for the warmer months to come!

Strawberry Puree
1 punnet ripe strawberries
1-2 tbs. water
Blend strawberries in a blender or food processor and add water until desired consistency is reached. If your strawbs are ripe enough your won't need to add any other sweetener.

Crunchy Maple Bits
1 handful walnuts
1 handful buckwheat groats
1 handful flaked coconut
1/2 tbs. maple syrup

Dry roast the walnuts, buckwheat and coconut until brown. Pour over the maple syrup and stir through.

Enjoy this wonderful porridge in the sun!





1 comment: